Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Caps for Sale...

This summer I got to enroll in the online reading program for preschoolers through the Institute of Reading Development, Inc. and the University of Minnesota. So far it’s been a blast! I have an assigned teacher, Ms. Elizabeth, and we work on letter recognition, beginning phonics & sight words, and of course the love of reading. Basically there are 6 sessions and each session is based on a specific book with 3 individual lessons. The first two sessions have been based on the books Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina and The Mysterious Tadpole by Steven Kellogg. Our first book, Caps for Sale, featured online storytelling with Bookman (*our reading based superhero who lives in a cool tree fort), online phonic games and even acting out the story! We made our own mustaches and monkey masks then took turns acting out the story.  Here I am as the Peddler trying to sell my caps.
 Up close shot!
Here's Hudson & I playing the monkeys off my bunk beds & Mom's the Peddler - so much fun! 
 
The second book, The Mysterious Tadpole, also had online games, things to do with Bookman and we even created my own mysterious gift picture with my own story that Mom wrote down for me.
I love school and really look forward to each lesson, especially using the computer.  I know I'm building skills for JumpStart which will start in September, full-time Preschool here I come!  Can't wait.  Up next we'll cover the following books:
Animalia by Graeme Base
Goldilocks and the Three Bears retold by Jan Brett
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
The Frogs Wore Red Suspenders by Jack Prelutsky
Such a fun summer treat!